Monday 7 November 2011

Dumbledore you maniac

Here's my take on the famous. I was the location manager on a film called My Kingdom which starred the late great Richard Harris. He was then also playing the kindly paternal wizard Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies. "My Kingdom" was essentially Shakespeare's King Lear set in Liverpool's underworld and Harris played the lead. I had hired a trendy city centre bar as a location on the film and the art department had turned it into an up market Brothel, it was that type of picture. Anyway the location was costing a fortune because I had effectively closed a working bar, so I was concerned when I got a phone call from the office asking how many days we had the location for as there had been a delay with filming. We were on nights, shooting in November and I just remembered it rained for the whole shoot. Anyway I got to the location, it was a square in the city centre, the pavement was slick with rain that reflected the seedy neon; there were extras dressed as prostitutes shivering and smoking in the rain watching whilst the kindly and avuncular Dumbledore twated the director with a furled up copy of the script screaming abuse at him. I've never been able to watch the first two Harry Potters with a straight face since.

No comments:

Post a Comment